Thanks to a generous donation from a Cal Poly College of Science & Math (CSM) Alumnus, the Center for Innovation & Entrepreneurship (CIE) and CSM are excited to announce a new faculty fellowship that will bridge both institutions and create innovative pathways for students in the college.
If you are a pioneer, innovator, disrupter, and passionate problem solver – this could be for you.
The CSM/CIE Innovation Lead, in partnership with Dean Wendt, Dean of the College of Science and Mathematics, and John Townsend, Executive Director for the Center for Innovation & Entrepreneurship, will develop and execute a dynamic and multifaceted program that engages students, faculty, and alumni in the areas of innovation and applied problem solving. Designed uniquely for the CSM, this faculty lead will focus on the application of science and math to solve meaningful, real-world problems with pathways to industry, government, healthcare, and our community.
The objectives of this program are to:
- Increase the number of CSM students pursuing innovative endeavors during school and after graduation through increased collaboration with the Center for Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- Expose students to entrepreneurial pathways at Cal Poly and in their future careers
- Inspire students to solve real-world problems by exposing them to alumni that have chosen innovative professions, connecting them with and encouraging their participation in CIE programs
- Energize faculty by providing an outlet and avenue to engage students in new ways
- Engage our alumni and donors interested in supporting innovation within the College of Science and Mathematics
- Create a new and fun way to identify CSM Alumni that identify as entrepreneurs
- Act as a potential recruitment tool for prospective students in the College of Science and Mathematics
The CSM/CIE Innovation Lead will be provided one-third of their time, per quarter, for one to three years to dedicate to the effort. Additional programmatic funding will be available through fundraising efforts. At a minimum, this faculty member will be expected to:
- Understand the scope of programs and resources available through the Center for Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- Design a comprehensive innovation and entrepreneurship program for the college. This could include, but is not limited to:
- Bridge innovative programming with the college’s successful undergraduate research programs like SURP and the May Symposium
- Develop and deliver innovation and entrepreneurship courses within the CSM
- Develop and execute college specific student innovation competitions
- Bring in innovative Alumni to speak in Department Seminars
- Build awareness within CSM about innovation opportunities, including the Entrepreneurship Minor, Elevator Pitch Competition, Innovation Quest, Summer Accelerator Program, The Hatchery (on-campus inculcator), Innovation Sandbox (prototyping space), etc.
- Provide expertise, mentorship and workshops in the Summer Accelerator and year-round in The Hatchery
- Execute one or more initiatives within this program
- Provide bi-monthly updates to the CSM Dean and CIE Executive Director
The CIE’s faculty and staff will be available to support this fellowship, share curriculum and resources, and work together to create partnership opportunities for faculty and staff.
Applications are encouraged by May 6, 2022.