It’s the middle of summer, and many Cal Poly students have said goodbye to San Luis Obispo and returned home for the break. With Cal Poly and Cuesta College students making up nearly one-third of San Luis Obispo residents according to SLO City’s community profile, it isn’t uncommon to hear that “SLO is dead” during the summers — but we’re here to tell you that isn’t necessarily the case. Sure, there are less people in SLO, but there are still plenty of things to do. Here are just a few summer activities that CIE staff and students enjoy during our time off:
I like to go up to the coast and take photos. In Morro Bay, you can get up right near the sand and take photos of nature.
– Sheri Burlock, CIE Administrative Specialist
Networking in SLO in the summer is kind of unmatched because no one has school to do.
– Dylan DeFazio, Lead Engineer at 2022 Summer Accelerator Startup Grip Safe
Surfing at Pismo Beach.
– Emily Gavrilenko, co-founder of 2022 Summer Accelerator Startup Ryde Carpool
For me, it’s got to be going to Blues games. Nothing says ‘summer’ like baseball & beer.
– Alyssa Espinola, CIE Marketing and Communications Coordinator
Downtown SLO’s Concerts in the Plaza.
– Liz Fisher, SBDC Program Manager and Madison Krum, SBDC Project Coordinator
Kayaking in Morro Bay.
– Lyndsey Park, CIE Graphic Design Intern
There’s paddle boarding in Morro Bay. I also like to hike Cuesta Ridge.
– Tyler Revak, CIE Videography Intern
I like to hang out in Avila. I’ll usually bring a book to read on the beach, then get a burger at Avila Market.
– Alyson Smith, CIE Public Relations and Digital Marketing Intern
I’d have to say hiking The P.
– Shaun Tanaka, CEO of 2022 Summer Accelerator Startup Grip Safe
Milestone’s Trivia Night.
– Will Tregenza, co-founder of 2022 Summer Accelerator Startup Quickie
My co-founders and I like to go over to one another’s houses, play Settlers of Catan, make dinner together and eat brownies. We’ve done that four or five times this summer.
– Josh Wong, co-founder of 2022 Summer Accelerator Startup Ryde Carpool
Live music at BarrelHouse Brewing Co. in Paso Robles. And the California Mid-State Fair — I’m going this weekend!
– Stephanie Zombek, CIE Marketing and Communications Manager